Inspired by Kathryn's oh so yummy recipes for Crohnies in remission, I though I would offer a recipe of my own that is flare-up friendly. This recipe has:
- No dairy.
- No spices.
- Nothing acidic.
- No fiber.
- Awesome taste!
Peanut Butter Cookies
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 + 1/4 cup sifted all purpose flour (white)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine (try a dairy free one like Olivina) or butter
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (gently packed)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Thoroughly cream together wet ingredients in a big bowl.
3. Blend dry ingredients into wet a bit at a time with a spoon or fork. Switch to using your hands as it gets thicker. Knead well.
4. Roll into 1 inch balls in your hand.
5. Place on a very lightly greased baking sheet with 1 inch space around each one. You can fit about 12 on a standard sheet.
6. Press each ball down half way with a fork.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Watch for the edges to get a bit brown.
8. Remove from baking sheet immediately and place on a cooling rack. They will feel a bit flimsy when they are still hot.
9. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes then store in an air-tight container.
Makes about 2-3 dozen.
These are a great comfort food. I like to eat them with my favourite milk-replacement beverage, like rice milk. They might be good with chocolate chips, but I've never tried it.